A major component of the Big Picture model is community. We believe that the best learning happens when students are actively engaged in the local and global community.
As a school-within-a-school, Big Picture has its own strong internal community while still participating in curricular and extracurricular activities at SBHS. Additionally, our students are integrated into the communities of Burlington and South Burlington through internships and service-learning.
Our students engage in their local communities through:
- Shadow days with local businesses and organizations
- Interviews of local professionals
- Group community-based learning trips (skill preparation for internships)
- Internships (up to 80 hours per term!)
- Workshops presented by community partners during Explore Week
- Service learning