We hire a new VISTA every year, and begin the process during Spring Term. Please check-in on the AmeriCorps VISTA website to apply for the position. We will likely begin interviews in the first few weeks of May.
Do you want to help high school students realize their dreams? Do you want to create a radically different model for school that is centered around students as unique individuals? If so, consider applying for our VISTA position through the Vermont Youth Tomorrow (VYT) AmeriCorps VISTA Program.
At Big Picture South Burlington, we believe all students have an internal motivation to learn and have designed a school where students create an individualized curriculum around their passions. It’s the responsibility of adults to uncover their greatest passions and unlock that motivation. Each student along with a supporting panel of adults creates a unique learning plan that includes internships, community projects, and individualized academics. There are no official classes, instead students learn through community discussion, socratic seminars and a whole lot of self-directed learning. Two days a week students are placed in internships throughout the community.
Our advisors manage a group of students who have created their own path of learning and everyone (students and advisors alike) enjoys the safety of working in an inspiring learning community. If you believe every student can learn and are willing to dedicate yourself to helping our students realize their dreams then this may be the right VISTA position for you!
We are looking for a VISTA who can serve in the following capacities:
- Manage the Learning Through Internship (LTI) component of students’ education – recruiting internships partners, communicating with internship mentors for evaluations, conducting in-progress site visits, communicating with Big Picture Advisors about student performance.
- Manage website and social media (Facebook, Twitter) accounts for Big Picture South Burlington.
- Develop and assist with Orientation Term (Sept) and Service-Learning Term (May) courses
- Assist students with their digital portfolios to document their learning throughout the term
- Develop individualized curriculum for students around their interests
- Assist the Big Picture Program Coordinator with other administrative duties as needed.
To apply, send cover letter, resume and 3 references to Kevin Downey, our Program Coordinator (email@example.com) and apply at the AmeriCorps VISTA website.
Benefits of Americorps Service:
VISTAs serve for a variety of reasons, from wanting to make the world a better place to discovering a life-changing adventure. For one year, you will be doing everything you can to create and expand programs that ultimately bring individuals and communities out of poverty. As a VISTA, you’ll gain:
- Memorable experiences
- Highly developed skills
- New friends
- A sense of belonging to a community
- Feeling of waking up every morning to help the world
- A new challenge
Recent graduates gain the kind of real-world experience they can’t find in a typical entry-level job. Experienced adults apply their skills and knowledge to serious social problems and discover previously untapped strengths. In return for a year of full-time service, you’ll also receive other benefits as well:
- A Segal AmeriCorps Education Award or post-service stipend
- Modest living allowance
- Healthcare benefits while in service
- Childcare assistance while in service
- Student loan forbearance or deferment while in service
- One year of noncompetitive status for a federal government job
- Access to the network of VISTA & VISTA alumni (170,000 strong)